The simple funda they used : The phone when inserted into the tablet, takes over the the Hardware and the OS of the phone and uses it as a “brain”. The Padfone comes in three main parts : The phone, The Padfone Station pad and the Padfone Station keyboard dock. It works on Android 4.0, the Ice cream Sandwich.
First lets talk about the Padfone Station.
- The 10.1 inch multi touch screen weighs 724 gms.
- It has its own 1.3 megapixel camera available through a small hole in a special cover that protects the Phone. The Padfone Station by itself does not have any mobile data capabilities.
- It uses a GPS system and a phone to maintain the reception.
- The tablet has three different connector ports through which the phone can be connected to it, the microHDMI port, the microUSB port and a special metallic element that opens up for the phone to be fitted in.
The experience after the phone is connected to the Padfone Station is just like the one in The ASUS Transformer Pad 300, one word – awesome ! The Padfone Station has a 1.5 GHz dual core processor with 1 GB RAM and 16/32 GB of storage media. It also has a cloud storage of 32 GB.
Now, lets see what the Phone has is store for us!
- It is a 4.3 inch multi touch phone which weighs 129 gms with battery.
- The phone has both, the Front ( VGA ) and Rear ( 8 megapixel ) cameras with a 5-element lens, which support Geo-tagging.
- It has a microSD card support of upto 32 GB.
- It has HTML 5 browser support.
- The best thing i feel about the phone is the Dynamic Display Technology introduced by ASUS allows seamless connectivity between the phone and the Padfone Station.
The apps currently running on the phone automatically appear on the larger display once the phone is docked onto the Padfone station. The Nifty Equalizer brings out the best volume from the phone. That’s not all what ASUS has given, The Padfone actually comes with a detachable keyboard and a bluetooth device to go with it.
The keyboard dock has its own battery, and it charges the Padfone when connected to it. The Padfone acts nothing less than an Android Laptop after the keyboard dock is attached. The Padfone is actually a 3-in-1 hybrid of a phone, a tablet and an laptop. The only negativity I found with the keyboard dock is that the Padfone weighs around 1 kilo after is is attached.
All in all, I would rate the ASUS Padfone a good 8/10 for all its features, looks and performance. Here is the most awesome Asus Padfone video advertisement.
Warning! – If you have been using a pre-iPhone era phone or laptop, this video may just blow you away.
(The Author is a Student of Technology based in New Delhi, India).